Ruunvald: 5th Edition D&D
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Creation

2 posters

Go down

Character Creation Empty Character Creation

Post by Dablu Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:36 pm

I'm gonna be handling character creation a bit differently, as I realize that it's a bit of a hassle to have two separate long sessions; It ends up being a pain in the arse for everyone involved. From now on, for the first time, we'll just flip through the book briefly looking at races and classes with my own brief (I know, shocking) descriptions and we'll simply build a character from there. The full complete process would take at most an hour, but likely less. Cheers. Smile
I feel like it'd be useful to quickly discuss the process of character creation. Character creation (for the first time) usually takes two sessions. If someone's re-rolling a character or making a new character after already having made one, it'll just take one. The first time is split into two sessions for the following reasons:

The first session is comprised of going over with medium detail the available races and classes, to give players a general overview of the possible races and classes, but also to enhance overall understanding of the world that they'll inhabit. At the end of this session, the player will choose their character's race and class, as well as make a name shortly after, usually informing me over text.
If it isn't someones first time making a character, and they're knowledgeable about races and classes, only a look at the list would be given followed by them selecting race and class, essentially taking about two minutes, then continuing on with the "second" session. This is because they're already familiar with racial and class details and we can move on to the actual character details right away.
This first session takes about 2-3 hours.

The second session will involve determining stats, such as health, ability scores and modifiers, selecting proficiencies, as well as determining important character details such as alignment, ideals, bonds, flaws, and incorporating a statistical background. This'll be followed by choosing equipment, stuff like weapons and armor and other trinkets, and then selecting spells, powers, and attacks. At the time of posting this I'm not sure how long this would take, as I haven't had a second session with anyone yet, but another estimated 2-3 hours.

Sometime in between the first two sessions, or perhaps after the second (unoptimal), it's important to develop and flesh out your character by giving them a detailed backstory. Depending on length and quality of the backstory (5 sentence minimum- come on guys) I'll grant bonuses such as gold, and if you do particularly well, I can grant something like a magical item or bonus spell and the like. This is all just to motivate you to make a high quality background story.
Good luck!
A background will still be wanted post character creation however, just to better everyone's experiences! So try and think of something interesting, or whatever else you might want.

Last edited by Voltes on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dablu
Dablu
Admin

https://ruunvald.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Character Creation Empty Re: Character Creation

Post by Skits Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:26 pm

"Backstory (5 sentence minimum- come on guys)"
haha
Skits
Skits